Dumaguete

city of gentle people, Dumaguete City, Negros Oriental, Philippines, site of silliman university (su), st. paul's university of Dumaguete (spud)

Friday, September 22, 2006

The Beggars Of Dumaguete

Dumaguete prides itself with being the "City of Gentle People" and I find that to be true with its beggars as well. No city is without its homeless and dispossessed and Dumaguete City is no exception. Gov. Perdices street, the narrow main street where most of the retail businesses are, is also where the beggars ply their trade of selling emotional burden for mere pittance. It struck me while walking briskly along Perdices St. how early these beggars start their daily routine. What they basically do is sit on the sidewalk and hope for coins to be tossed into their cans or hat. Some are blind, some play musical instruments. I have seen several males who surprisingly looked well-fed and healthy. With eyes closed, one would surmise that these were indeed sightless.

Quite a number of them have children playing on the sidewalk which would lead one to think that begging is a means of livelihood which allows a family to survive. Except for one or two who actively solicit for a coin or two, these beggars sit quietly, waiting for pity to translate into money in their pockets.

I used to see a group of Badjaos who are professional beggars that seem to be everywhere in the Philippines; and they are a rowdy group of young females and sometimes young boys. They come at you like birds of prey and crowd and tug at your sleeves and touch your arms asking for money. These are a native community which have left their homes somewhere and planted themselves in a city where they thrive and grow, making money from begging. I have often wondered where the menfolk bide their time while their females forage for coins and leftovers from the fastfood restaurants. They invariably have a baby or two in the group, which is one of the principal props of begging. I guess the authorities have relocated them somewhere because they are nowhere to be seen in Dumaguete these days.

Over-all, the beggars of Dumaguete are more well-behaved than those of other places. This must mean that they are able to make enough money to survive from day to day.

1 Comments:

Blogger Corey said...

Very interesting observations indeed. I had been approached by a young boy who I was later told was a Badjao. I had never encountered such a situation as this before, so without hesitation I simply shook my head and smiled. My native friend told me this was the proper thing to do, since these kids are often professionals, as you said.

Perhaps the most startling image etched in my memory is of an elderly woman sitting on the sidewalk with her hand out, appearing to be permanently fixed in this position. Her head was down and she oblivious to her surroundings. It seemed as if the those who passed by were oblivious to her.

Besides the young boy I did not have any experiences with beggars. I did, however, have several "run-ins" with street vendors...very pushy ones at that. However, I'll never forget the near-toothless woman in Cebu who gave me the most gentle, welcoming smile...even after I declined to buy any of her wares.

8:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Nevada Properties
Magenta Razr